Tuesday 24 April 2018

Planning Life... | Lisa-Jane Johnson | Tags

Hi there, It's Lisa-Jane from Pretty My Page here today with my layout featuring a tag.  I quite often use tags on my layouts as both embellishments or a place to add some journalling, so I thought I'd try something a little bit different for this challenge.  


I promise you that the layout is actually straight in real life, it's me that's swaying at the moment (with a virus... not through drinking as I'm tee-total!)

I've been itching to use my Simple Stories Crafty Girl stash so pulled out a suitable photo (of my bag of many planner...) and got to it.  I grabbed the remains of a die cut to use behind my main paper to give me narrow white border as I wanted to use loads of colour on this layout.


Because the tag was going to be one of the main features of the layout and I didn't want a conventional tag shape, I started with this first.  I fussy cut this lovely grafty girl from the 8x6 pad because I wear specs, usually have a messy bun and often wear scarves so it was a very good fit!


I added a long-forgotten eyelet and some baker's twine to make it into an actual tag and when I posted this sneak on Instagram it seemed that quite a few of us had plenty of eyelets sitting unloved in our stash... who knew?! (insert side-eye emoji...)


I wrote my journalling straight onto the reverse of the cut out and in real life you can actually read it just fine but you could also journal onto white cardstock and then snip up little words or phrases to stick on.  I know what you're thinking - how can you read the journalling when it's in a page protector?  Bear with me...

I needed to keep a track of where the tag was going to go but without sticking it down because obviously you need to be able to read the other side, so I made a ring of washi tape to keep it in place.


Once I had an idea of where the tag and the photo were going, I was able to place some haphazard layers of arty themed papers.  Then I added some die cuts from the ephemera pack with some foam tape behind them for some dimension.


My alphas are another very old item from my stash and I can tell you that this was the most time consuming part - I went through several variations of titles because I thought I had letters that I didn't have, then I found one of the missing letters attached to my elbow, then I started my second word with a G but it didn't look G-like enough to be recognisable (unlike at the end of planning) so I changed it again.  Then when I put them away I realised I had been using a C instead of a G.  Sometimes when you are poorly you just shouldn't be allowed near scissors and glue...


 All that was left now was to attach the tag in such a way that you could read it without taking it out of the page protector.  In the photo at the top the tag isn't actually attached, it's just there to show you out of the page protector because you always get glare from the plastic otherwise.  Here you can see it inside the plastic and I've simply stapled the twine in place through the plastic and the layout using my Tiny Attacher.  


 So now my tag hangs free outside of the page protector so it moves around and you can easily flip it over to read the journalling about my planner addiction.


Don't forget to share any projects you've been inspired to make - we have our new Facebook group and of course you can tag (see what I did there...) us on Instagram.  We're hoping to feature lots more lovely layouts from our followers in the coming months.

Let's make pretty pages!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...