Thursday 24 August 2017

Cool as Ice | Niki Rowland | Clustering



Hi there! Niki here with you today with a new layout to share. I was delighted to hear that the theme for August was 'clustering'. This was super easy for me as I pretty much do clusters on every layout I make!

There is a free cut file this month to help you with clusters. This file was designed by me and I hope you enjoy it.

I cut the cut file in grey card and then backed each gap with patterned papers. I've used the Summer Dreams collection by Echo Park. The layout has turned out super bright and a bit crazy but I love it!

The cut file above was designed to give you three obvious and ready-made areas to add your clusters. I usually place my photo on my layout and then choose two or three areas around my photo to add my clusters of embellishments. The general rule is to create three areas in an approximate triangle around your photo - this draws the attention of the person looking at the layout to the most important item on your layout: your photo.


I usually attach one of my clusters to my photo itself or very close to it.

As for the actual clusters themselves and what they are made of...I start with something 'big' perhaps a die-cut or shape that is big-ish. If you have something really big then really you need to start the whole layout with that in mind for that to work. I use the larger items from ephemera packs for example, get those down first and then add more and more layers on top of it with smaller embellishments wuch as stickers, shapes, tags, clips etc and gradually get smaller and smaller until you are adding the little things like sequins, enamel dots or gems.  Quite often it ends up that you can't see much of the first 'big' shape I put in place but that's ok becuase it means the cluster has depth, dimension and interest. It also meas that I can use those slightly obscure items from ephemera packs as they are mostly covered up!


 I have put together a process video of me making this layout - enjoy!


I hope you enjoy the video and will give clustering a try on your next layout!

Happy scrapping, Niki xx 

Find me designing for Freckled Fawn, Just Nick, Hey Little Magpie, GoGo Getaway, Silhouette UK, Stick it Down, and UK Scrap Addicts. Also on my own blog: Being Scrappy and on Instagram as @nikiclaire

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...