Thursday 22 August 2019

Smile | Sam Ball | Sketch

I always find a sketch a great starting point for inspiration, especially if your mojo is a bit lacking… Sometimes, I’ll even do a quick pencil sketch of a layout that I really like, so that I don’t get too fixated on not having the same product as the layout uses!

I’ll sometimes rotate the sketch to suit the orientation of my photo and quite often the result ends up only remotely looking like the sketch!

Initially when I first saw the sketch I must admit to thinking yikes, stars – that’s so not me! Once I had doodled my own version of the sketch, literally re-drawing the geometric lines and curved shapes within the layout, the sketch was immediately more me!


Now when I compare the sketch and my layout, I think it fundamentally does look like the fab Laura Rumble sketch, albeit that the theme doesn’t incorporate stars.



I find fussy cutting such a therapeutic task and these papers were just crying to be cut into and layered. Mixing large blooms, floral elements and leaf fronds enabled me to easily create the soft curvature on the left of the layout, whilst achieving a near central geometric vertical panel using a series of the same photo.


The mixed media effect background is pre-done so like a sketch it’s a great way of not being faced with a daunting piece of white cardstock.

After adding a few white paint splatters across the background, I either glued or used foam pads to attach the floral elements and butterflies.


I’ve loved using a sketch this month, and with the option to rotate it too, I’m sure it’ll get you in the creative zone too.

So if you’re feeling inspired by this sketch, why not share your layout with us over on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...