Saturday 14 November 2020

Fresh | Sam Ball | Large Photo

As a scrapbooker who inherently tends to only scrap small photos, rarely even scrapping as big as a 6 x 4” photo, this months’ challenge certainly took me out of my comfort zone!


I did order a print 12 x 8”, but try as I might, I really struggled to scrap it… I can only put it down to the lack of ‘white space’ left on the page. Plus, because the photo itself was quite busy, there was little room to layer any embellishments over it.

 

After what seemed like an inordinate amount of time spent paper shuffling, I decided to look for another photo and settled upon the one I ended up using. It’s a print that I’ve had for years – the image, which must have been taken about 20 years ago, is grainy, but I’ve always loved it, and whilst it isn’t ‘officially big enough’, I was finally feeling inspired…

 

Having cut up the sentiments, I sorted them by colour, then arranged them in a waterfall effect, in the same colour order as the photo.



I used clear gesso on the background, then reached for my gelatos to create a watercolour background to match the colour run of the words.

 

It’s not my usual style to place the photo centrally either, but it felt right! After distressing the edges, I stuck each word down, curling one long edge in the process.

 

After that, there wasn’t a lot of room for embellishments, and whilst I initially thought I would be adding them in and around the words, I wasn’t keen so kept them to the right of the layout.


 

Would scrapping a ‘supersized’ photo take you out of your comfort zone? If so, it might be worth giving it a go, as I really like the way this layout has turned out!

 

And if you do play along, don’t forget to share your layouts over on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...