Tuesday 16 June 2020

Kindness is always in style | Sam Ball | Combining Old and New Collections


What makes a collection new and not old? Some will class an old collection as anything other than the latest releases, whereas others might decide that an old collection is anything pre dating 2019. This is what I settled on being the bench mark, and soon discovered I have way too many ‘old’ collections!



Some of these ‘old’ collections were bought but I couldn’t bear to use them, whilst others have been so well used there are only scraps left to play with.

When deciding on which collections to combine, I used my photo as the starting point. I noticed that Snapchat had a couple of new filters, one of which was B&W but with a pink illuminated heart, in a cool portrait orientation.

I pulled out some collections that appeared to have similar pinks to the heart on the photo including ‘Girl Squad’ by Pebbles in 2017, ‘Dream Big’ by Pretty Little Studio and also made in 2017, ‘Happiness’ by Cocoa Vanilla Studio, launched in 2019 and ‘Bohemian Dreams’ also by Pretty Little Studio in 2019.



I was especially drawn to a cut-apart paper that had a beautiful black lady on it along with the sentiment of ‘kindness is always in style’ and particularly apt in light of the ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement. As this 3 x 4” journaling card also had pale teal in it, the layout became a mixture of both pink and soft aqua.



I introduced a zip detail as a nod to the fact that we need to ‘undo’ the wrong doings of the past, along with a heart cut file to represent that I care and butterflies to illustrate new beginnings and a better future ahead.



Have you played along this month? It’s a great way to use up old stash whilst enjoying new collections too!

And don’t forget to share your layouts over on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram if you’ve played along this month...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...