Monday 10 April 2017

Listening Ears| Laura Rumble | Machine Sewing


Hi Chaps, Laura here today.  I love the effect of hand sewing on layouts but I just don't have the patience... nor do I want little red splatters on my layouts!  So I use my sewing machine.  Here is the video:



I inherited this machine from my Nan when she upgraded.  The tips I can give you for using a sewing machine for scrapbooking are:
  1. The manual is your friend - it will tell you how to thread the machine and which button does what.
  2. If you use the machine for sewing on fabric as well keep a separate needle - paper blunts the point and a blunt needle doesn't do fabric much good. 
  3. You get what you pay for with threads - I had a very cheap thread and bobbin set and the thread kept breaking.
  4. If your bobbin (the bottom thread) runs out of thread while you are sewing and you don't realise (ask me how I know!) it is fairly simple to use a regular needle to hand sew through the holes you've made with the machine.
  5. Experiment - just remember which button/dial you are fiddling with so you can rectify if need be!


As you can see, I didn't aim for neat and tidy.  I did go for a giant paper clip holding my journalling...


Here is the finished ayout:




2 comments:

  1. I love it Laura :) I may be brave one day and give machine stitching a go again

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...