Wednesday 7 June 2017

Where's James? | ScrappyNerdUK (Claire) | Mood Board

Hiya Friends,

I'm up on the UK Scrap Addicts YouTube channel today with a video for my layout based on this months theme, Moodboards.

I am going to be completely honest here. I have never attempted a layout based on a moodboard before. I'll let you know by the end of this blog post what I liked and didn't like about using a mood board.

So first I set about having the moodboard open on my iPad so I could keep referring back to it when choosing my papers and embellishments.

So I started my layout by selecting my photo. I chose a photograph of my sister and my husband as I new that the pink colours in the photo would work well on this layout. The story behind the photograph is that my sister is obsessed with my husband. My sister is disabled and although she cannot talk, walk or even communicate, she does have her own little personality. That shines when my husband comes into the room. We say to her "Where's James" and she immediately turns her head and stares at him and then smiles. It is so sweet. 
For the title, I decided to use a mixture of alphas. Firstly I used some flat stickers in pink. These are from Simple Stories and are one of my favourite go to alpha. Next I added some gold Thickers to really tie in the gold from the mood board.

Gold is definitely one of my favourite colours to work with on my layouts. I don't think I'll ever tire of using gold accents. Especially gold glitter accents!!

I kept the embellishing on this layout really simple as it was already going to be quite busy with the amount of patterned paper that I wanted to use. So I kept it to using only gold glitter hearts which I used a small heart punch and punched them from gold glitter cardstock. I also used a few tiny word stickers as I didn't put any journalling on this layout and this created a little more interest. Any finally some sequins.  I used a mixture of pink sequins and clear sequins to tie in with the mood board. Now this is where I nearly have a nervous breakdown. When trying to open the pot of sequins, I wasn't holding onto the pot tightly enough and they slipped out of my hand and flew everywhere. All over my desk, all over my layout and all over my floor.  This was even captured on film as I was filming whilst this happened. You have to watch the video and laugh along with me!

To adhere the sequins down, I decided to use some coloured sticky dots which were supplied by  allthingssticky.com. These were fab when using behind clear sequins. It changed the clear iridescent to a pink colour when using the pink sticky dots.  This lead me to thinking about other ways I could use coloured glue dots  and thought to myself, wouldn't they look fab when adhering acetate! I'm going to be trying that out!

This layout came together very quickly once I had decided what papers I was going to use, based on the mood board. I grabbed my large heart punch and started punching hearts out. I then laid them in a heart shape. I then grabbed my punched gold glitter hearts and started placing them in random spots on the bigger hearts, ensuring they were spaced out evenly. I also punches out a few pink and mint hearts and scattered these around the hearts too. I matted my photo on the same light pink paper and placed this in the best position so that you can distinguish the heart shape and it best fit in the bottom right.

And I was finished. This layout took me about 40 minutes once I got going so really quick one to come together. I then spent a further 60 minutes picking up the sequins!

Until next time.....................



Oh yeah - nearly forgot. My opinion on working with a mood board has remained undecided. I struggled with really deciding the papers, and that is probably because I've been working with collections for too long!! I think I need to get back to some good old fashioned scrapbooking and choosing my own papers to mix together. Like back before I discovered Crate Paper!!

You can watch the process video here and I don't want to spoil it but I have an epic fail in this video -  

Bye for now x



1 comment:

  1. I love the colours of this mood board, what a lovely layout and story behind it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...