Sunday 22 September 2019

Look on the bright side | Sam Ball | Selfie

With so many snapchat and similar filter apps readily available that are free to use, I can’t deny that I do like the odd selfie, or two, or three, or four!

That said, ironically for this month’s challenge I didn’t use a filter, but used a photo taken on a holiday a couple of years ago.




Never one to just sit by the pool, I always like to be reading or doing a puzzle on my ipad, but I struggle to see the screen! The hat serves for this purpose and doubles up as a means for keeping my face out of the sun, and sometimes I find myself taking the odd selfie whilst lounging around!

Initially, I gessoed a section of the white cardstock to allow the paint pigment to run freely, and whilst it wasn’t intentional, the subsequent effect does somewhat resemble the way that sea and foaming waves meet.




The large dotty paper reminded me of the simple prints like ticking stripes, used on so many old style deckchairs, so I grounded the page with a large panel of it, followed by a panel of coastline ‘black & white’ photos. I’m always drawn to these types of patterned papers, but putting them to use is another thing!

After back mounting the photo panel with a small pink polka dot patterned paper, again chosen because I thought it quintessentially English, I clustered a selection of summer themed chipboard pieces, including a swimsuit, sun glasses and even a pelican, not something we tend to get on the British coastlines!




I completed the layout with a cluster in the top left of the page, as this was very much where my eyes in the photo were focusing towards, so it seemed natural to add a little something there!


I’ve loved using a selfie this month, and I’m sure you must have the odd one too!


So if you’re feeling inspired by this months' theme, why not share your layout with us over on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...