Tuesday 19 May 2020

Love this | Sam Ball | Inspired by Another Craft

During lockdown, many of us crafty people are either trying a new hobby or re-visiting one that we’d perhaps lost the love of for whatever reason.

Having studied Textile Design, I’d always had a love of fabric, frequently making my own clothes, soft furnishings and window treatments.

Like so many crafty hobbies, once I’d discovered scrapbooking, nothing really compared to my love of making layouts and so textiles took a back seat. 




I recently volunteered to make scrubs for the NHS, which meant reaching for my beloved Bernina sewing machine. In more recent years, it’s been used to stitch on many, many layouts, so it was quite a novelty stitching onto actual fabric, both for me and my sewing machine too! In fact, it made me realise just how much I missed sewing, and I’ve already ordered a dressmaking pattern. 

Recent events have also changed the way I scrap, not in terms of style, but I’ve always liked complete silence and never been one for background music. I’ve been listening to so much more music these last few weeks, so although it’s not a craft, I wanted to document this change in my scrapping habits too!




I’ve always loved music ledger paper, so I reached into my stash and found an aptly titled piece to go with the photo of my middle step-daughter and her best friend at their prom.




I backed each of the washing line dresses, but rather than use paper, I backed them with a cream fabric lining, which I then painted in an ombré effect to co-ordinate with the rest of the layout.

Machine stitching to the background paper was a further nod to my love of sewing, as was the lace detailed edge.




If you’re not aware, ever month at UK Scrap Addicts we have a different theme, great for kick starting your mojo, especially at times like these when some people are really struggling to be creative…

Be sure to share your layouts over on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram, and if you’re not feeling creative, perhaps it would help to share how this unprecedented situation has impacted on your creative vibe?

After all they do say that 'a problem shared is a problem halved!'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...