Thursday 19 July 2018

Adventure | Lisa-Jane Johnson | 6x6 Paper Pads

Hey there lovely scrappers!  It's Lisa-Jane from Pretty My Page here today with my layout using a small paper pad.  I say small paper pad because some brands have started making their pads in 6x8 inch instead of 6x6, such as Cocoa Vanilla Studios that I used here.   


For this project I was inspired by a layout that I did as part of a class at a recent Gogo Getaway retreat that was taught by Kirei, who also happens to be on the UKSA DT.  I never thought I I would enjoy iris folding because I thought it was a technique for card makers and I assumed it was something to do with iris flowers.  Actually though it refers to the iris lens of the shutter of camera and when you look at the patterns that it makes you can see why.  In Kirei's class we made stars but I wanted something simpler that would suit a masculine page so I went with the triangles and created this month's cut file with this in mind.  

I wasn't confident about making my own template so I searched about on the internet and found a lovely lady called Judy from Handcrafted Greetings who creates all sorts of iris fold patterns that are free to download.  She very kindly gave me permission to use her triangle template for this project.  I resized it to fit the triangles on the cut file and then printed it off and cut around them leaving a alight border.



For triangles you need to choose 3 colours for your paper strips and the awesome thing about this technique is that yu only need quite small pieces so it's a great way to use scraps.  You just need to make sure that your scraps / pieces are big enough to cover each of the sections on the template. 


Once you've got your cut out triangles and your strips and your cut file, you are ready to go!  You need to stick the template on the front of your layout (using very low tack washi) but face down so that when you turn your layout over to the back you can see the template through the hole.  I found it helpful to hold my cardstock up to the light so I could line up the triangles properly.  Then you lay your first strip on number one and stick it down on the back of your cardstock.  Then you change to the second colour to lay on number 2, and so on.


Eventually you will get to the middle and it will look something like this!  You can then choose a coordinating scrap to cover the middle hole and you are ready to do your first reveal!  I've used some un-loved washi to stick my pieces down with but you can use whatever works for you.  I found that wet glue seeped a bit and using the washi meant I could go to down with it and stick all the edges down so that they didn't flap up and get caught.


When you are done, turn the cardstock back over to the front and gently remove the template to reveal your twisty iris pattern!  I've seen some lovely ombre effects and rainbows and you can ink the edges or scuff them up for more definition and the templates are endless.  Sure it might take a bit of time and concentration but I think the effects are worth it.


So with the main part of my layout done, I trimmed the edges and placed it on a piece of contrasting cardstock from the Boys Rule range.   Then I mounted my photo on a couple of other pieces from the 6x8 pad (which I couldn't do with a standard photo on a 6x6 pad so I LOVE this additional 2 inches) and added a few bits from the sticker sheet, ephemera packs and chipboard pack.


 Finally I added some of the new matt finish enamel dots from my shop and called it done!



It's a really unusual placement for me but I love how the triangles echo the mountains in the die-cut piece at the bottom and that even thought it is all spread out, which isn't like me at all, it still stays cohesive.  I definitely think I will be using this technique again soon. 

If you've created anything with iris folding, or perhaps used our cut files or been inspired by our 6x6 series then please do tag us and share in our group. 

Happy scrapping!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...