Wednesday 5 April 2017

It’s a Beautiful Day | Susan | Sewing

Good morning and welcome to my second post for UK Scrap Addicts. I hope you’ve had time to read at least some of our posts – there really is some super stuff so make yourself a cuppa and draw up a comfy chair!


AprilI was delighted to find our theme for April was to be sewing as I love to sew on my pages; it is therapeutic and also brings some texture to the layout. One of the things I like to do is pick up something from my photo and extend it with some stitching – sometimes a simple line like a horizon or sea shore line and sometimes something more complicated like the metal fencing in today’s photo of my husband on the bridge over the estuary at Lynmouth in North Devon.

April3On a page like this the stitching is the last element I do – there’s no point in sticking other bits and pieces over the sewing so I like to see where everything else is going before I start on the hole piercing. I always pierce holes first and then stitch with two strands of embroidery thread and a bluntish needle.

April4April6

To make straight lines and even stitches I use a Tim Holtz ruler and a fairly fine pokey tool such as the ones sold to ‘weed’ bits from intricate die cuts. I placed the ruler along the lines of the white fencing and continued the line with pierced holes. It really isn’t as complicated as it looks! I once did this with a photo of the Eiffel Tower – now that was complicated!

Another way I like to use stitching is to make a border to my layout – borders are not just decorative, they help keep the viewer’s eyes focused on the page. Here I have stitched some little beads to add interest and detail.

April2
April5
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 








That’s it from me today. I have enjoyed sharing my pages with you and thank you for your visit to UK Scrap Addicts. Please do leave us a comment and/or a link to any of your stitched pages and we’ll return the visit.
sig


 


xxx

4 comments:

  1. Lovely layout Susan! I really liked those criss-cross lines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just posted on my blog a layout using faux stitching.
    http://miniowner.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/uks-sketch-challenge-april-wk-1.html
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...