Wednesday 26 April 2017

Week 12 - Pocket Pages I Sarah Toward I Sewing

Hi there.  

I'm sharing how I use sewing in my pocket page layouts today, and a little secret.  I don't really use sewing in my layouts, so this was a good challenge to encourage me to try something different.  I am super in awe of all those talented scrappers out there who use sewing on their layouts, especially hand sewing.  I have used a sewing machine before in my pocket page layouts, that's simple and looks neat, but hand sewing, hmmm.  Here's what I did...


I started by making a template on Pages (the word processing software on a Mac), my title cards are always four inches square, so I drew a box and then added the text in a font I liked, then I printed it out.


I cut my template out and stuck it to my title card with a little removable tape runner, the type I use rubs off easily when I finished.


I used a pokey tool I have from an Amy Tangerine hand sewing kit and set to work poking holes, tracing the letters on the template.  As you can see I did quite a lot of holes close together.


I actually skipped over a lot of the holes and did longer stitches.  I think I'd still be stitching now if I'd stuck with the original close together ones.  I'm quite pleased with the end result of the title card, the stitching adds a nice texture to my layout, and you can't see the extra holes as the longer stitches cover them up.  I just used washi-tape to secure the loose threads on the back of the card.  I used some cheap embroidery thread I picked up in the sewing section of my local supermarket.


To tie in the stitching on the rest of the layout I stitched some simple 'X' stitches on a few of the cards, almost looking like I've sewn the photos to the cards.




I really like the texture and dimension that the sewing has added to this weeks layout, I think I'll even use the technique again in a pocket page spread, but I won't poke so many holes.  For my layout I used a mixture of Crate Paper, Chasing Dreams papers, and journaling cards from Allison Pennington's, Tweet collection.  Some ephemera from Becky Higgins Project Life, Project 52, Fresh addition, and washi-tape from my stash.

Thanks for stopping by and supporting us UK scrappy girls, we really appreciate your support.  I'll look forward to sharing some fun with you on National Scrapbooking Day, see you all then.

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...