Hi Chaps, Laura here today. I love the effect of hand sewing on layouts but I just don't have the patience... nor do I want little red splatters on my layouts! So I use my sewing machine. Here is the video:
I inherited this machine from my Nan when she upgraded. The tips I can give you for using a sewing machine for scrapbooking are:
- The manual is your friend - it will tell you how to thread the machine and which button does what.
- If you use the machine for sewing on fabric as well keep a separate needle - paper blunts the point and a blunt needle doesn't do fabric much good.
- You get what you pay for with threads - I had a very cheap thread and bobbin set and the thread kept breaking.
- If your bobbin (the bottom thread) runs out of thread while you are sewing and you don't realise (ask me how I know!) it is fairly simple to use a regular needle to hand sew through the holes you've made with the machine.
- Experiment - just remember which button/dial you are fiddling with so you can rectify if need be!
As you can see, I didn't aim for neat and tidy. I did go for a giant paper clip holding my journalling...
Here is the finished ayout: