Monday 22 July 2019

Love | Sam Ball | Sewing

Sewing has to be one of my all time favourite additions to any scrapbooking layout!

If I’m never quite sure what’s ‘missing’ it’s my go to addition and it always works!



Machine sewing is probably my preferred choice over hand stitching, although much like any larger tool such as a die-cutting machine, I do find when my sewing machine is out, I use it so much more!

Do you ever start a layout then ‘literally’ tear it apart and start again? Having originally started this layout with the green panelled paper as the entire background, something just wasn’t working… Drastic action was needed and so I roughly tore about one third off the left hand side of the paper. This now meant that my layout was missing a 12 x 5” section of paper!



I built the left side up, adding some stamping detailing to the base watercolour, along with some further torn strips, then did a double line of machine stitching down each torn section. The stitching adds dimension and I find it allows you to further distress the torn edges.

Once I stated to stick the layout down, I felt it was looking too geometric and needing softening to reflect the soft focus areas in the photo.




After playing with some mixed media powders on a separate sheet of paper, I then used it to die-cut out some trailing flowers, which immediately made the overall layout much softer and more feminine…

Along with a bit of thread to tie a few embellishments together, I decided a bit of hand sewing was needed, especially with this months theme being sewing!



A few aptly placed French knots, sewn in white thread just added a bit more texture and I was happy!

Don't forget to share your layouts with us over on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram if you've been inspired by this months theme.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...