Tuesday 23 July 2019

Grey Hair Don't Care | Amanda King (Guest Designer) | Sewing

We have a new guest designer this month, Amanda King, and we couldn't wait to see her take on this months theme of sewing.

Over to you Amanda....

When I read that this month's theme was sewing, I immediately thought of hand stitching a cut file. However, I had no idea how to get my Silhouette to cut the template so I decided to go old school instead. I decided on a Spirograph style pattern which I printed from online and started to punch the holes by hand using a paper piercer. I chose a subtle marbled pattern from DCWV's Romantic Life stack for my background and used a variegated embroidery thread.

The stitching took forever, and after four evenings of hand stitching I wondered if this had really been a good idea, but it's just one continuous line of backstitch so wasn't particularly difficult and I could watch TV whilst stitching.

Obviously after all that work I didn't want to cover up much of the stitching so I printed my single photo as a 7cmx7cm square (which is quite small for me). I layered it on a couple of papers from Hot Off the Press and some Pink Paislee Moonstruck which I tore on the top and bottom edges for a softer look. I then tucked various scraps, stickers and labels in on the left edge and cut pieces from another Pink Paislee paper to form a little cluster in the empty space at the top of the photo. I added a Maggie Holmes "Smile" sticker below the photo and cut my title on the Silhouette.

I'd originally placed my Spirograph pattern off-centre, and that gave me a wider space on the left of the page for my journalling, but I wondered if it might look a bit lost there, disconnected the photo, so I added a torn strip of washi tape to the left edge to anchor it and stop it floating off the page. Finally I repeated the washi by tucking a couple of pieces in above and below the photo block.

We love showcasing Guest Designers here on UKScrapAddicts and would love it if you would go and follow Amandas personal blog too - https://amandas-scrapbook-pages.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Amanda this turnout to be a fabulous page. Well done you with all the hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...