Thursday 21 November 2019

Sunny Days | Sam Ball | Masculine Layout

With three step-daughters and a husband who is a photographer and rarely appears in photos as he’s the one that’s always behind the camera, my layouts always tend to be more feminine, so this months’ theme of making a masculine layout did throw me somewhat!




I wasn’t entirely sure where to start, but having made a mixed media background a few weeks ago, I found a photo of Harvey that I took when we visited Thailand. It seemed to co-ordinate perfectly, and so I settled upon using the background as the basis for my layout.

Often I’m sure that I overthink my layouts, staring at a blank sheet of white cardstock, afraid to commit to making the first mark! No matter how many times I try and convince myself that it’s ‘only a piece of paper’, nothing changes!



However, having a pre-prepared background this time has made the creating process so much more enjoyable and speedier, so I shall definitely be employing this tactic again!

The layout itself uses the fabulous ‘Indigo & Ivy’ collection from Pink Paislee. I loved it from the moment I saw a preview of it, but had yet to ‘cut’ into it.



After backing a heart cut file, I layered it with embellishments, ephemera and phrases. Often I find that the sentiments in the word packs are a bit ‘soppy’ and repetitive, but I really like the mix in ‘Indigo & Ivy’.

Having been away on a crafty weekend, a friend let me play with her Nuvo mousses. Similar to a texture paste in consistency, they can be mixed with water and applied using the packaging technique, but also dragged through a stencil to create a texture relief. They even have a few mousses that are classed as ‘expanding’ which are supposed to do just that when heated.



The expanding results were subtle, but nevertheless, I have succumbed and no doubt these mousses will appear on many more of my layouts!

Remember to share your layouts with us over on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...