Thursday 20 June 2019

Sweet | Sam Ball | Mixed Media

Wow... how time flies!

I can't believe it's a month since my last post and we are nearly half way through 2019 already!

Like last month, this months' theme of Mixed Media is right down my street!


I would describe myself as a 'tame' user of mixed media, as I like to have control and that isn't always the case with mixed media!

However, I decided to embrace it fully, not overthink it and accept any drips or splurges that I wasn't initially happy with!

By thinking in this way, my inner mixed media goddess has been released...



I often think it's to do with being faced with a blank white sheet of cardstock... It's all about making the first mark and once you've done that the space isn't quite so daunting!

I used some watercolour paper, which was just under 12" so to make up the difference I had to add a panel of patterned paper...


I added gesso to the base, as this provides stability to the paper and also allows for inks and paints to flow more freely.

I used a combination of oxide inks, both as drips and splatters, then added texture paste through a stencil when the inks were dry.

If you aren't familiar with oxides, I'd strongly recommend you get a couple to try. Even when they are dry, you can add water splatters which react and disperse the colours, making halo effects and extra shades...


The embellishments and papers I used were from old and new stash - it's amazing how the colour schemes from four years ago are still appearing in collections today!


The photo is also from many years ago, when we took my youngest step-daughter to a local fairground. The big wheel was a really rickety old think and every time we were nearing the top, my husband would cause it to rock, making us feel anxious and unsafe!

It's a bit like mixed media - sometimes it's mind over matter and I can honestly say I'm less fearless of it now and will embrace it fully from now on!

Don't forget to share your layouts with us over on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram if you've been inspired by this months theme.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...