Sunday 19 January 2020

Good Things | Sam Ball | Paper Folding

Along with a couple of fellow UKSA team mates, I’ve been lucky enough to visit Version Scrap in Paris…

Rather than simply attend the event, we decided to make it into a mini-break and spend a few days away. As it was Jackie’s first time in Paris, we visited some of the iconic must see landmarks including the Eiffel tower, and it was one of these photos I decided to scrap.




Jackie has a fear of heights, so although she fancied going up to the top of the tower, actually getting up there was a different matter, especially as the very top is open to the elements.

After a bit of persuasion, we coaxed Jackie up the final flight of stairs and celebrated with a glass of bubbly, along with a mini photo shoot!




Not only does the image remind me of the Eiffel tower shenanigans, but of a wonderful few days in Paris including seeing the Moulin Rouge show.

So, when I saw this months’ theme of paper folding, I immediately thought of creating a fan of paper, like an oversized half rosette, to emulate the can-can dancers’ costumes, and scrap this photo.

After experimenting with the distance between each crease, I decided to make the fan double layered. I used French bookplate paper for the underneath layer and patterned paper on top. Before creasing the top layer, I used a border punch to add a decorative detailed element.




The hardest part was getting the fan to stay open… The reverse has lots of glue and paper to help it stay put! This finally stuck it, along with lots of patience waiting for the glue to dry!

As our visit to Paris was primarily to visit the craft show, I wanted to include some of the embellishments that I bought at the craft show, along with an ephemera postcard found at the famous Marché aux Puces Parisian flea market.



I’m not sure if we’ll be going again this year, but making this layout certainly bought back some wonderful memories of my time away with Sheena and Jackie.

Don't forget to share your layouts with us over on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...